Slideshow
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 >>

map
Ta Keo Tempel - Score:8.20690
Ta Keo Tempel
User:Hanel
Spot:Angkor
Tha Phrom - Score:8.15789
Tha Phrom
User:ffranz101
Spot:Angkor
Temple at Angkor - Score:8.07143
Temple at Angkor
User:Fusion
Spot:Angkor
Angkor Wat - Score:7.84000
Angkor Wat
User:ffranz101
Spot:Angkor
Working the Land - Score:7.83333
Working the Land
User:Fusion
Spot:Phnom Penh
Outside Phnom Penh - Score:7.75000
Outside Phnom Penh
User:Fusion
Spot:Outside Phn...

Cambodia

www.mygreatworld.com - Angkor Wat Cambodia, a land of cultural, Ethnic and financial extremes: Extreme poverty, extreme wealth and extreme culture. It has a hotchpotch of different people and cultures. More than 90% of its people are ethnic Khmer and speak Khmer as there first language. www.mygreatworld.com - Monks at Angkor Wat The remaining ethnic minorities are Chinese, Cham, Indian and Khmer Loeu. French is still spoken by some older Khmers as a second language (a remnant of its colonial past), but English now is rapidly becoming the preferred second language. In many tourist areas English is widely spoken. Most young people, you will find speak at least a little English and English is taught even in small village schools.

The dominant religion practiced in Cambodia is a form of Theravada Buddhism that account for 95% of the population. The other 5% is taken up by Muslims (3%) and Christians (2%). In general there would appear to be a peaceful co-existence between the groups.

The Climate

Cambodia, in my opinion, has a wonderful climate with temperature ranges from 10’ to 38’C. It is never really cold, although the Khmers may dispute that, at anything below 15’C they will be dressing for ‘winter’. The Rainy season runs from May to October and temperatures can drop below 22’C with very high humidity.

The dry season is usually from November to April. Some effects of climate change have been obvious during my times in Cambodia. The best months to Cambodia are November to January, as the temperatures and humidity tend to be lower.

Wildlife

www.mygreatworld.com - The Calf There are a wide variety of plant and animal life in Cambodia despite its recent intensive deforestation. 212 species of mammal, 536 types of bird and 240 reptiles. It also has 850 freshwater species of fish in the Tonle Sap and 435 marine species in the waters of Sihanoukville. Sadly the countries primary rain forest has fallen rapidly (and illegally) since 1970 and has fallen from over 70% to 3.1% in 2007. The forest reserves of Cambodia are under severe threat. Illegal logging is still prevalent.

Transport

www.mygreatworld.com - Local Taxi The Khmer Rouge times severely damaged the countries infrastructure and transport system but Cambodia has been working hard to improve the highways that it has and things have improved since 2006 with many main road now being paved. The rail network is extremely poor and in a bad state of repair. Lines run from Phnom Penh to Sihanoukville, Sisophon and Battambang. Currently only one passenger train a week runs to Battambang.
Many former dirt roads are slowly being resurfaced with concrete or asphalt and some major river bridges have be built or replaced leading to Phnom Penh having an uninterrupted road access to Thailand at Koh Kong.

Thanks for this to FUSION!



To support us in developing this site please suggest your description or any additional information of Cambodia to the operator. You are the one to put it in.
Your contribution makes the difference!

Suggest YOUR description now!

Please make sure you do not violate the personal rights of anyone!